This Veggie Egg Fried Rice will give you total takeout vibes!
A few weeks ago I opened my fridge door wanting something delicious and crave worthy to appear but my near empty fridge didn’t provide. Staring back at me were a couple of peppers, a half empty bottle of Just Egg, some celery and a single carrot. I was in desperate need of a trip to the grocery store but just wasn’t in the mood to leave the house.
Remembering we had a bit of rice left in the pantry, I got cooking. Surprisingly, with what felt like a lack of ingredients kicking around I created a dish that gave me the takeout vibes I was desperately in the mood for.
10 Easy Steps to Make Veggie Egg Fried Rice
- Make the rice & set aside.
- Chop all the veggies.
- Combine Just Egg, chili garlic sauce and black salt together then whisk and set aside.
- Melt some butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Cook the chopped veggies for 5 minutes in the melted butter.
- Form a space in the middle of the pan and add the egg.
- Let the egg cook for 2 minutes.
- Continue cooking the egg for 4 more minutes while scrambling to combine with the veggies.
- Add rice and soya sauce. Fry for 6 minutes.
- Plate & enjoy!
I hope you give this recipe a try & feel the takeout vibes!
Let me know what you think in the comments below 🖤
Veggie Egg Fried Rice
- 1 small pot
- 1 large pan
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup liquid Just Egg
- 1 teaspoon black salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce such as Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 1/4 small onion finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 1 small carrot peeled, finely diced
- 1 medium orange pepper finely diced
- 1 medium yellow pepper finely diced
- 1 medium green pepper finely diced
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos/soya sauce
- salt + pepper to taste
- Rinse the rice a few times to get rid of some of the starch. Combine the rice and water, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low for ten minutes. Remove from heat and let sit while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk together the liquid egg, black salt and chili garlic sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. When hot add 1 tablespoon of the vegan butter. Once the butter is melted add the onion, celery, carrot, orange, yellow and green pepper. Cook 5 – 6 minutes until soft. Add salt and pepper then mix to combine.
- Form a space in the center of the pan then add remaining teaspoon of butter. When butter is melted add egg. Let egg cook in the center for 2 minutes.
- Begin slowly scrambling every 30 seconds combining the veggies and egg. Cook for 4 minutes longer.
- Add rice and liquid aminos/soya sauce (your preference) to the pan and mix to combine. Fry the rice for 5 – 6 minutes. Add salt + pepper and mix to combine. Remove from heat and serve!
- For a fluffier fried rice make the rice ahead and store it in the fridge until you are ready to cook the veggie egg fried rice!