Soup season is seriously the best! This Vegan Cheeseburger soup will have you fighting over the last bowl, guaranteed. It’s cheesy, thick & rich – everything you want in a soup! Its picky eater friendly too – no weird vegetables or seasonings. Served up in 45 minutes and stores well in the fridge, tastes even better the next day (love when that happens)!
How to make Vegan Cheeseburger Soup
You’ll start out by cooking vegan “beef”. I used Gardein’s beefless ground but you can use any vegan beef alternative you’re a fan of! Once your “beef” is done cooking (about 5 minutes) you’ll set it aside & get started on your vegetables (in the same pot to make clean up easier later, who wants more dishes!!). The vegetables are cooked in vegan butter for about 5 – 7 minutes then flour is added (I used gluten free flour). Cook an additional minute after adding the flour. When the veggies are done the real fun begins.
To the cooked veggies add the following ingredients:
- vegetable broth
- unsweetened coconut milk
- dijon mustard (don’t skip it, trust me!)
- vegan worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- parsley, dried
- oregano, dried
- basil, dried
- bay leaf
Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
Add vegan cheddar cheese & cream cheese, mix it well and let it melt into the soup. Follow up by adding back in the “beef” you set aside.
Don’t forget to top with more cheese, green onions or even diced tomatoes to finish off this cheesy bowl of perfection!
Want more comfort recipes? Check these out:
Vegan Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or your preferred oil)
- 1 1/2 cups beefless ground (I used Gardein Beefless Ground)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 2 medium carrots finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF Baking Flour)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 large potatoes cut into bite size pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheddar cheese (I used Parmela Creamery – melts like a dream!)
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese (I used Sheese original)
- cheddar cheese
- green onion
- diced tomatoes
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat. When hot add extra virgin olive oil followed by beefless ground. Cook "beef" for 5 minutes until browned. Remove "beef" from pot and set aside in a bowl.
- Leave the heat on medium high and in the same pot you cooked the "beef" add the vegan butter. Once the butter begins to melt add the finely diced onion, carrots & celery. Cook the vegetables for 5 – 7 minutes until the onions become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the gluten free flour and cook for an additional minute.
- Add vegetable broth, unsweetened coconut milk, dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, oregano, basil & salt + pepper. Mix well to combine ingredients.
- Add potatoes & bay leaf. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. When potatoes are soft remove bay leaf.
- Add vegan cheddar cheese & cream cheese. Mix well to combine and help the cheese melt. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes until cheese is melted. Bring your heat up to help the cheese melt if needed.
- Add set aside "beef" back into the pot and mix to combine.
- Remove from heat and serve with your favorite toppings (more cheese is always a good idea!)
- If gluten isn’t a worry for you, feel free to use whatever flour you normally use!
- This soup makes for awesome leftovers! Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.