Time is precious and so is a creamy bowl of pasta! This Roasted Red Pepper Pasta is made in under 25 minutes so you can eat a restaurant style pasta without spending tons of time in the kitchen!
What’s in Roasted Red Pepper Pasta?
Ingredients for this recipe are simple:
- your favorite pasta
- extra virgin olive oil
- unsalted raw cashews
- jarred roasted red peppers
- unsweetened coconut milk
- dried basil
- vegan parmesan
What makes this pasta so creamy?
The cashews & unsweetened coconut milk combined together in the blender with the additional ingredients make this sauce a creamy dream. The recipe specifies soaking the cashews in hot water while preparing the other ingredients for the sauce. You can feel free to skip this step but soaking the cashews in hot water for just a few minutes will help you achieve a creamier sauce!
Where to find roasted red peppers at the grocery store?
Jarred roasted red peppers are often found in the same aisle as pickles! If you don’t see any at your grocery store in this section take a look in the aisle where canned veggies and pasta sauces are. They are often placed on the top section of shelves.
Do you love pasta as much as I do? Check out these other She’s Plant Powered pasta recipes:
If you give this recipe a try be sure to rate the recipe below and leave me a comment! I’d love to hear what you think!
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- 1 Large Pot
- 1 Medium Frying Pan
- 1 Blender
- 1 package pasta of your choice
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or your preferred oil)
- 1 small yellow onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup roasted red pepper (from a jar)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh basil optional for serving
- vegan parmesan optional for serving
- crushed red pepper optional for serving
- Start off by boiling water in a large pot to cook your pasta. When the water starts to boil add salt and cook pasta according to package instructions. Set pasta aside until sauce is ready.
- Add cashews to a blender with hot water and cover with the lid. Let the cashews sit in the hot water while you prepare the sauce. This will help soften the cashews to ensure an extra creamy sauce!
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot add the extra virgin olive oil followed by the onion. Cook the onion for 3 to 4 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add minced garlic to the pan and cook for a minute before adding the roasted red pepper. Cook for an additional 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the unsweetened coconut milk and dried basil to the pan. Cook for 4 – 5 minutes until everything is well combined and the coconut milk begins to turn golden.
- Drain the water from the blender and leave softened cashews in the blender. Add the roasted red pepper & onion mixture from the pan to the blender along with vegan parmesan cheese. Add salt & pepper to taste. Blend on high for 30 second to a minute until everything is well blended and the sauce is smooth.
- Combine sauce and pasta and mix well to combine. Serve topped with vegan parmesan, fresh basil and/or crushed red pepper.
- This sauce drys out in the fridge and is best eaten fresh. If you are saving leftovers add a bit of unsweetened coconut milk when reheating and mix to bring back the creaminess!