Chili season is here but are you ready for Dynamite Chili???
It’s SPICY so if you don’t like spice this one is not for you, check out this Creamy Gnocchi & Sausage Soup instead! If spicy is your thing then look no further – chili oil, jalapeño, crushed red pepper, and Valentina hot sauce give this chili it’s kick!
A few weeks ago I facetimed my mom who was spending her friday night at my aunts. My aunt went vegan a few years ago and is always finding the best recipes and sharing them with the family. Who doesn’t love someone who makes everyone’s life easier by sharing recipes they’ve tried am I right? Appreciate these people, they are going through the effort of sharing good stuff they think you might like!!
My aunt mentioned she would like a recipe that includes butternut squash. She got me thinking about how I could use this “in season” squash and I thought it would be awesome to combine butternut squash & chili. The following day I was browsing the home section at value village and I came across the cutest little cauldron bowl (pictured below) that had Dynamite Chili written on it. It felt like fate, I got to work creating a chili recipe that was “Dynamite” & included butternut squash!
I present to you DYNAMITE CHILI.
If you give this spicy little bowl of happiness a try let me know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or your preferred oil)
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 cup beefless ground (such as Gardein beefless ground)
- 1 teaspoon chili oil (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large green pepper finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño (with seeds) finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen butternut squash
- 2 (13 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (13 ounce) can red kidney beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (13 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Valentina hot sauce (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- vegan sour cream
- vegan shredded cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat. When hot add oil followed by diced onions. Cook the onion for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add beefless ground & chili oil. Cook for 5 minutes mixing often.
- Add garlic and cook an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add green pepper, jalapeño & butternut squash. Cook for 5 minutes mixing often.
- Reduce heat to medium and add diced tomatoes, red kidney beans, tomato sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, crushed red pepper, Valentina hot sauce, and the bay leaf. Mix well to combine and simmer on medium to medium-low for 20 minutes. Place a lid on the pot while it simmers. Give it a mix a few times while it cooks.
- Remove from heat, plate and top with all the best chili toppings!