An easy fall dinner in 25 minutes! This Creamy Sage & Mushroom Pasta requires very few ingredients and is the perfect solution to a busy weeknight. Can’t go wrong cooking mushrooms in butter!!
I only recently fell in love with mushrooms. For years I picked them off pizza or ate around them in spaghetti sauces. It wasn’t until I went vegan that I realized I had majorly been missing out! Now I can’t get enough of them. This recipe came about a few weeks ago when I opened the fridge after working all day, determined to make something quick. I was due for a trip to the grocery store but waiting for me in the fridge was a package of pre-cut white mushrooms, sage leaves from a recipe the night before & coconut milk. In less than 25 minutes I was sitting down to eat a creamy pasta dish!
Mushrooms, not your thing? No worries, I got you – check out this Very Veggie Pasta recipe & skip the mushrooms!
Creamy Sage & Mushroom Pasta
- 1 package of your favourite pasta
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cups white mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 14 – 15 leaves fresh sage finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- fresh basil
- vegan parmesan
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt and cook pasta according to package instructions. When pasta is cooked strain & set aside.
- While pasta is cooking heat a large pan over medium heat. When hot add butter. Once the butter is mostly melted add the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms for 3 to 4 minutes until browned and soft.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook another minute before adding the finely chopped sage. Cook the sage for 2 minutes until it is fragrant and appears slightly browned. Season the mushroom-butter mixture with salt & pepper.
- Combine 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk & cornstarch together in a measuring cup. Mix well to dissolve any clumps. Turn the heat down to medium low and add coconut milk to the mushroom-butter mixture. Let the sauce thicken over medium low heat, cooking for 3 – 4 minutes. If you find it thickening slowly up the heat to medium.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and mix to combine until pasta is well coated with sauce. Remove from heat, plate and top with vegan parmesan and freshly chopped basil.
- Have a bit more time? Preheat your oven to 400° & roast a garlic bulb in the oven for 45 – 50 minutes prior to starting the creamy butter sage mushroom sauce and add roasted garlic to the sauce in place of the fresh minced garlic in the recipe.