Oatmeal makes for the perfect winter breakfast! There’s something about a warm bowl of creamy oatmeal hits different when it’s cold outside. We’ve been eating it a few times a week at our place and this Caramelized Banana Oatmeal has been one of our favorites. It’s quick & easy to make and keeps you full for a long time if you have a busy day ahead!
What I really love about oatmeal is how creative you can get with different flavors and toppings! If you are finding yourself getting bored of a certain variation of ingredients switch it up to keep oatmeal in your breakfast line up! If you haven’t tried caramelized bananas you’re in for a treat!
How to caramelize bananas
The perfect golden caramelized bananas are so easy to make! Heat a small pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of maple syrup. Slice a banana into thick slices (helps prevent the banana going mushy in the pan). Add your banana slices to the maple syrup and let them cook for about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat & enjoy these delicious golden slices on a bowl of creamy oatmeal!
Not in the mood for Oatmeal? Try this Tofu Breakfast Scramble instead.
Caramelized Banana Oatmeal
- 1 cup gluten free quick oats such as Quaker Gluten Free Quick Oats
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (less if using sweetened coconut)
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut (unsweetened or sweetened works fine)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 large banana sliced
- In a small pot add oats, almond milk, peanut butter, maple syrup, hemp hearts, shredded coconut & a pinch of salt. Mix to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes until the oatmeal is to your liking. The longer you leave it on heat the more it will thicken.
- While the oatmeal is cooking heat a small pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot add maple syrup followed by banana slices. Cook 2 to 3 minutes and flip cooking another 2 to 3 minutes on the other side. Bananas should look golden brown.
- Serve oatmeal with caramelized bananas and other favorite toppings such as peanut butter & shredded coconut.
- Cut your banana slices on the thicker side to ensure they don’t turn to mush in your pan when you are caramelizing them.
- If you find your oatmeal thickening too much add more almond milk!