A layer of fresh basil and melty vegan cheese covers this Baked Vegan Ziti with Sausage for the perfect cheesy weeknight dinner. This recipe is made with simple ingredients you can pick up at your local grocery store!
Oh how I love this Baked Vegan Ziti! I’ve made this recipe a dozen times now and every-time it turns out SO FRIGGEN GOOD! I struggled taking photos of this ziti because under that melty layer of cheese is a mix of saucy noodles and sausage which may taste downright delicious but it doesn’t photograph so well 😅 . I’ve attempted to take photos for weeks and finally decided enough is enough – I’ll post the recipe and those who try it will understand just how good it really is!
What ingredients are in this Baked Vegan Ziti?
Simple ingredients that should be available to most at your local grocery store:
- extra virgin olive oil
- yellow onion
- Beyond Meat mild or spicy Italian sausages
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- crushed tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- your favourite gluten free pasta such as penne or rigatoni
- vegetable broth
- bay leaf
- shredded vegan cheese
- fresh basil (optional for serving)
In the mood for more pasta? Check these recipes out:
Baked Vegan Ziti with Sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 4 links Beyond Meat mild or spicy Italian sausages casings removed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 box your favourite gluten free pasta such as penne or rigatoni
- 2 – 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (optional for serving) chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat and add oil to the pot once hot, followed by onion. Cook for 4 – 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add Beyond Meat sausages and crushed red pepper. Cook the sausage for 5 – 6 minutes until browned.
- Add crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, pasta, 2 cups vegetable broth & bay leaf. Mix to combine. Simmer over medium heat with a lid for about 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. Add additional vegetable broth as needed if your pasta takes longer to cook. Test pasta to ensure it is cooked to your preference. Add salt & pepper.
- Remove the pot from heat and and transfer ziti to an oven safe dish. Top with vegan shredded cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Cover with tinfoil to help the vegan cheese get nice and melty!
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving! Enjoy
- Keeps well in the fridge for up to 4 days and tastes even better re-heated for lunch or dinner the next day! YAY for leftovers!
I hope you give this recipe a try and absolutely love it! If this recipe will be added to your recipe rotation let me know in the comments below! 💚